Refer to the guidelines below to determine the best outlet for your story. However, before pitching stories to the media, we encourage you to contact our media relations team with your story ideas.
- News should be timely and relevant to a significant number of people.
- Will the story have impact?
- Does it affect a lot of people or a limited few?
- Does it have emotional appeal?
- Does it advance Georgia Tech’s strategic goals?
Qualities of national news stories:
- They relate to broad interests.
- They have multimedia potential – still images, video, and animations.
- They add something substantive and relevant to the national discussion.
- Stories that advance Georgia Tech’s strategic plan.
- Stories that advance the goal of diversifying the research program.
- They demonstrate the societal benefits of research.
- They contain verifiable facts.
- They contain verifiable research based on publication in refereed journals or presentation at major conferences (releases should be developed ahead of publication or presentation dates).
- They rely on reputable and objective sources.
Local news stories, like national media, should be timely, advance Tech’s strategic plan, and relate to a significant number of people.
They should also be stories that relate to or reflect the following:
- Connection to Georgia Tech.
- Georgia Tech’s economic impact on the state.
- Human interest to Georgians.
- Georgia Tech’s commitment to service and community.
Opinion and editorial pieces should meet the publication’s standards in terms of length. The publication may also edit or fact-check the submitted piece.
Qualities of a successful op-ed include:
- Timely and relevant.
- Expresses a clear opinion.
- Reaches a conclusion or issues a call to action.
- Provides facts to back up the argument.
- The author is identified.
- The author is an expert in the field.
- Style is tailored to the publication (news, academic, sports, etc.)
- Has been proofread.
Mondays at 3 p.m.
Communicators across campus meet every week to discuss stories and projects and how we can amplify their impact.
For more information:
Production Coordinator email@example.com